Motability Operations Ltd are an independent company responsible for the finance, administration and maintenance of the Motability Scheme.
What is the Motability Scheme?
The Motability Scheme was founded on 25th July 1978, set out with the aim to aid those with disabilities to become more mobile. It allows you to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair using their government-funded mobility allowance. Being a UK-based scheme, it has improved the lives of 700,000 customers and their families across the UK, bringing freedom and independence into their lives. They aim to offer unbeatable value and give you award-winning customer service.
In addition to providing increased independence for individuals with disabilities and the elderly, the primary advantage of the mobility scooter program lies in its comprehensive package, whereas it’s an additional feature in most leasing or financing arrangements. This inclusive offering encompasses insurance, routine maintenance, servicing and extensive breakdown coverage – all provided as standard within the program. All you have to do is charge the battery, and you’re ready to embark on your journey!
Who can join?
To be eligible for the scheme, you need to receive one of the following mobility allowances and have at least 12 months remaining.
- The Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP)
- The Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMC DLA)
- The War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- The Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
The beauty of the scheme is that you are not limited to a certain type of mobility aid. There are so many different types of mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs available for you to choose from.
There’s a simple “Eligibility Checker” tool that checks if you can join the scheme and you can either check for yourself or someone else.
How to join
Join the Motability Scheme in these easy steps.
- Check the eligibility tool to see whether you are entitled to join.
- Research and browse the full range of powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters available on the scheme.
- Arrange a viewing or test drive once you have chosen the perfect one.
- Lease your new mobility scooter or powered wheelchair and enjoy the inclusive package that includes insurance, servicing, maintenance and comprehensive breakdown cover.